Childhood and Modernity 361

Course Objectives

The aim of this course consists in applying the subject’s perspective, and theory from the introductory course, to a particular area. In each specialisation course students will study a general interdisciplinary theme, from a historical, an aesthetic (e.g. literary) or interpretative sociological perspective. Teachers from various disciplines present interdisciplinary topics from their respective standpoints, and in this way emphasise the interdisciplinary approach.

Course Description

The theme of this specialised course are the historical changes concerning how childhood is viewed and experienced during the last two centuries within the western cultural complex, e.g. from children as a source of labour to children attending compulsory school. The course will study childhood as a historical phenomenon and cultural construction. The following elements will be focused on:

  • Changes concerning the perception childhood in European culture during the last two centuries
  • Children and childhood, as portrayed in history of ideas and art, particularly in poetry, visual arts, media and contemporary culture in general
  • The socialisation and cognitive development of children in a cultural sociological context.

Learning Methods

Seminars, 3-6 hours per week in the spring semester.

Assessment Methods

Students must submit a term paper based on the syllabus material which counts for 20% of the final grade. For specialisation courses, students will hold a trial lecture of 40-45 minutes duration for one of the courses, and they will be orally examined in the other course. This assessment counts for 80% of the final grade of the specialisation course.

Candidates may select the specialisation course they intend to lecture on, but the term paper question is chosen by the department. The candidates must give notice when registering for the particular course what type of assessment they wish.

Minor adjustments may occur during the academic year, subject to the decision of the Dean

Publisert av / forfatter Birgit Norendal <> - 03/03/2008