Fantastic Literature 2115

Course Objectives

Fantastic literature may be characterised in several ways. It encompasses a wide field which must be narrowed down. In this course, the primary texts will be restricted to Norwegian and Nordic texts with a few important exceptions. The course concentrates on a) Nordic myths and epic heroes, b) folk-tales, c) modern romantic and so-called “Gothic” literature d) children’s literature. Since fantastic literature is such a comprehensive term, studying it in full breadth is impossible. The secondary literature will refer to other styles, aspects and approaches related to the fantastic as well.

Course Description

A selection of creative works and texts spanning from the Middle Ages to modern times which represent various forms of imaginative literature accompanied by a range of theoretical literature related to the subject.

Learning Methods

Instruction during the autumn semester, 2 hours per week for 15 weeks. Lectures and seminars. The course is part of a Bachelor’s-degree programme in Literature and Language with specialisation in Norwegian.

Assessment Methods

Individual home-assignment of around 4000 words counts for 40 %, and a 5-hour written final examination that counts for the remaining 60% of the final grade. Both of the above must receive passing grades for the course to be approved.

Minor adjustments may occur during the academic year, subject to the decision of the Dean

Publisert av / forfatter Ian Harkness <>, last modified Ian Hector Harkness - 14/08/2009