Ecotourism Methods and Practices 4508

Course Objectives

Students will be introduced to the practical elements of the planning and management of ecotourism destinations, businesses and products. One aim is to use case studies as a means of working with the practical challenges surrounding the concept of ecotourism. A second aim is to showcase efforts underway to meet and handle these challenges through management and certification systems and other local and international guidelines. A third aim is to offer the students the opportunity to work practically with the development of ecotourism destinations, businesses and products.

Course Description

Principal themes in the course:

  • The development of and present status with regard to systems for ecotourism certification
  • Ecotourism project and development methods
  • Practical case studies
  • Field work
  • Current and future challenges when implementing ecotourism proposals and ideas into the "real world"

Developing ecotourism projects requires a good understanding of the practical challenges that appear in the context of responsible and sustainable tourism, and in relation to tourism in general. The ability to be realistic in this sense by balancing profit-making with the ecotourism orientation is important. This course will therefore provide practical insight into and a better understanding of how ecotourism might be developed and managed. This relates to positive achievements both in relation to environmental awareness, sustainability, social and cultural responsibility and economic gains.

Learning Methods

Lectures, seminars, group work, excursions and field work. Groups of students will work on fieldwork and reports related to practical development and management of ecotourism.

Assessment Methods

Assessment is divided into two parts: a fieldwork report with oral presentation will form 60% of the final grade. The other 40% will be based on a 3-hour final written examination. Students must pass both parts in order to receive a passing grade for the course as a whole.

Minor adjustments may occur during the academic year, subject to the decision of the Dean

Publisert av / forfatter Ian Harkness <>, last modified Bergit Grivi - 04/02/2009