Ecophilosophy 2631

Learning outcome

The student shall develop an interdisciplinary understanding of causes of the ecological crisis, and skills and competence in developing their personal ecophilosophies that contributes to the depth ecology movement, sense of place and indigenous regeneration.


Give an overview of the rise of ecophilosophy, in Norway and abroad

An in-depth understanding of the relationship between nature, culture and self

Developed their personal ecophilosophy based on values and visionsAn in-depth understanding of place and how to regenerate indigenous ways of living

Understand how to apply ecophilosophy to the roots of the ecological crisis and as• thinking and action in communities of transition


Ability to make a distinction of worth in a context of uncertainty

Ability to analyze, think and act according to values and visions

Ability to see more in our fields of perception

Ability to collaborate with others in building a movement

Ability to develop a sense of place and what it takes to regenerate the indigenous relations to place, using case examples from Norway

General Competance:
To critically understand and reflect on complex relations in a world of fragmentation, and the philosophical and cultural the roots to the ecological crisis

To analyze the relationship between life view and life style

To develop a deep understanding and respect for the intricacies in web of life

To develop competence in how to conduct non-violent, direct-action

Course Description

The subject entails an interdisciplinary approach to the basic relationship between nature, culture and self.

It furthermore addresses the causes of the ecological crisis, and seeks to develop in the students the means both to analyze and understand these causes, but also possible ways to overcome them.

It will present the students for the rise of ecophilosophy in Norway, and how it can be tied to the regeneration of the indigenous ways of life in place. It will also look at various sides of the international depth ecology movement, started by the Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss, such as ecophenomenology, Gaia-theory, existentialism, earth spirituality, and transition initiatives.

In addition the course will help students develop their personal ecophilosophies.

Teaching and Learning Methods

The subject will build on different teaching methods, including: Lectures and discussions, individual and group exercises, journal, Written hand-ins, Excursions, Group work (2-3 persons), Case studies

Most of the teachings will take place in a lecture setting, and in smaller groups, but we will also take use of nature as a learning-arena. This various teaching methods will give the student a balanced learning process, between individual and social learning.

Assessment Methods

The student work will be evaluated in the following way:1) Short paper I: Ecophilosophy paper, 5-8 pages (25% of total grade)2) Short paper II: Position Paper, 5-8 pages (25 % of total grade)3) Group work and presentation (50% of total grade, including hand-in)The work will be evaluated in a letter grading system, where A is the best and F is no-pass.

Minor adjustments may occur during the academic year, subject to the decision of the Dean

Publisert av / forfatter Eline Flesjø <>, last modified Webmaster HiT - 18/03/2013